If you’re an 80′s baby like me, or at least grew up with the 90′s decade, the new simulcast ANSWER ME 1997 is a nostalgic blast to the past. Dramabeans describes the drama title as “a question to your 1997-self, as in: Answer Me, 1997 Me.” It’s a 90′s “vintage” drama that ”features a group of teenagers who are all 18 years old in the year 1997, and as the story unfolds, we get a How I Met Your Mother-esque flashforward, where we meet them all again in 2012, as 33-year old adults.”
Ah, to the days of H.O.T. (I still have like, five of their albums in my car) and dial-up internet (seriously, I haven’t heard that dialing tone in ages)…ANSWER ME 1997 is a certified throwback to those good ‘ol carefree days.
Below are twelve 90′s memories in the drama that we hate to love, and love to miss.
12. 90′s Hairstyles: Bowl-cuts, blunt bangs, middle parts, and lots of gel. UGH NO, GROSS–get that yearbook photo away from me.
11. Floppy Disks: Since they are no longer in circulation, have younger people ever seen a floppy disk? Don’t they ever wonder what that square icon for “save” is in Microsoft Word?
10. Big and clunky old TVs: Prior to the days of flatscreens and LCD we had these awesome babies, complete with VCRs. (Hello Panasonic and APEX!)
9. VHS Tapes: You can’t watch videos on your clunky TV without a VHS tape and VCR, of course. Remember to rewind fully after you watch and make sure you dont tape over anything important!
8. Cassette tapes and Walkmans: They’re big, they’re bulky, and they hold only 30 minutes on each side. Don’t deny it–you still have a collection at home that you just can’t throw away…
7. Huge phones: HOW did we carry these two pound bricks for hours on end?? And no wonder prank calling was so rampant–it’s just too easy when there’s no caller ID!
6. DDR: Arcades and Smile.dk. That is all.
5. Huge desktops: I have a terrible secret. My computer is still sitting in my room. And it literally takes up half my desk, seriously. (I do kinda miss those sticky, clacky, old keyboards though–they were fun!)
4. Tamagotchis: Is yours still alive? Yeah, right–Tamagotchis, Nanopets, Gigapets…whatever you had, it probably died within a week (But mom, I swear if I had a real pet I wouldn’t forget to feed him!!)
3. Adidas, EASTPAK, and Guess brand shirts: Or in this case, FAKE brand name shirts! You know you still have a bunch of these shirts and backpacks in storage somewhere!
2. Pagers and beepers. Remember the numerical codes everyone used to use? Here’s a brief refresher: 1004 = Korean for ANGEL, 4=Korean and Chinese for DIE, 143 = English for I LOVE YOU, 012 = Korean for FOREVER. Ah, good times. (Just do us a favor and take them out of your screen names…)
1. 90′s Clothing: Baggy overalls, plaid, and oversized tracksuits, duh. These were fashionable times man, really fashionable times.
Catch ANSWER ME 1997 on DramaFever.com!
What’s your favorite ANSWER ME 1997 throwback?